Sunday, November 9, 2008

Kate's new do!

Kate has been asking for a year or so to cut her hair like Bella, who is my best friend's daughter.  So, we let her cut it to her shoulders.  That didn't work.  I finally gave in against Greg's wishes!  What is it with men and hair?  We waited until after Halloween because you need the long hair for Dorothy!  I planned the cut when she and I could have some fun and turn it into a girly day.  The boys were going to go camping, so I chose that day.

The day started with me getting the boys out for their big camping trip with their boy scout troop and Daddy!  Then the girls got ready for our big day!  Kate decided she'd like to wear a little makeup and got her purse and sunglasses ready and we were off.  We got to ride in Daddy's car with the sunroof open and blasting Radio Disney(not Mommy's choice!)  Got to the salon where I go and we waited.  I took one last picture of her with her long hair and she was so giddy!  We thought she'd have enough hair to donate to Locks of Love, but we were almost an inch too short.  We tried!  Kate was so cute sitting in her chair getting her hair cut.  Through out the whole process I kept saying Oh my gosh, and holy cow.  Kate had to ask me to stop.  Which was hard to do when you're watching your little 6 year old become 2+ years older right before your eyes!  She was no longer my baby, but a young girl.  Kate really liked her cut, but said it felt weird on her neck, that's because she had no hair.  My girl did an awesome job with her hair!  After her fabulous hair cut, we ventured off next door to Hobby Lobby, her favorite store, and one of mine.  During our shopping, I would just stare at her and getting used to her hair cut and noticing how much older she looked and how cute she was with her little purse, new hair, shopping, etc.  After almost 2 hours and $50, we left.  Then headed to our favorite Mexican restaurant for and early dinner and colored.  During dinner we talked about what we'd do afterwards and decided to make a fire in our fire pit on the deck and make smores and hot cocoa, paint our nails, and watch a movie.  Sounded like a deal to me.  So, we headed to Target for all our supplies for the smores, nails and then of course raided the dollar section, which added at least $20 more to our bill.  (Who can escape Target without spending at least $20 or more above what they were actually there to buy?)  Got home and I quickly uploaded our pics from our big day and then went to build our fire outside.  Well I wasn't successful.  I had all the ingredients for a perfect fire, wood, newspaper, and kindling...well, I think the wood was too dry because the only thing that lit on fire was the paper and kindling.  I told Kate the wood might be too dry and she said, let's just add some water.  I told her it wouldn't help.  So, we took our music and smores inside to let the microwave do the work and they turned out good.  The rest of the night we sang to Hannah, Jonas Brothers, Weezer (mommy's choice, I needed to break up the teeny bopper music), painted Kate's nails pink, purple, pink, purple, etc.  Then watched Kung Fu Panda. Before we knew it it was 10 PM and Kate was growing sleepy.  So, I put her beside me and snuggled her up with blankets and as she's falling asleep, she says, Mommy, I love being with you and had the best day.  Boy, did I have the best day with my favorite and only daughter!

2 comments:

Alli said...

What a fun day, just the girls! You have way more patience than I do to be at Hobby Lobby for 2 hours....now I can do that for scrapbooking things, but not while an indecisive 6 year old looks. Good for you!

Kim P said...

WOW! I love this! Your lil girl is sooooo adorable in every way!!!! Hearing little special things like that is priceless! I LOVE THE NEW CUT! She looks HOT! - probably what Greg was scared of in the first place!! :)